Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscars 2009

India is celebrating the 8 Oscars won by the HOLLYWOOD(and not bollywood) movie "Slumdog millionaire". Yeah, you can thank me for the clarification :P.

Well, in my opinion, this year's Oscar's have gone horribly wrong. So here is my list :-). Just to clarify, I still stand by the post I had written about me enjoying Slumdog millionaire.

1. BEST PICTURE - The Dark Knight! Surprised where this one came from, considering this is not even in the nomination list. But seriously, how dare the jury give this award to any other movie this year!!!
2. BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE - Heath Ledger for "The Dark Knight". Yeah the Academy thought he was supporting actor. But I think otherwise. And the fact that Christian Bale is a super-hero in this movie also helps ;)
3. BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE - Meryl Streep for "Doubt".
4. BEST DIRECTOR - Slumdog Millionaire. coz Danny Boyle has shown the Bollywood industry how a typical Bollywood story can be turned into a good movie! FYI, I agree with the jury here.
5. MUSIC AWARDS - Who else but the Mozart of Madras A.R.Rehman! Again, in accordance with the jury.
6. FILM EDITING - "Nothing but the truth". Another surprise winner here, not in the nominations
7. VISUAL EFFECTS - The Dark Knight
8. ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - Philip Seymour Hoffman for "DOUBT".
9. CINEMETOGRAPHY - The Dark Knight
10. BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - Amy Adams for "Doubt". I did not see Vicky Christina Barcelona. So I have kept Penelope Cruz out of my nomination list. Sorry about that :-). But didn't she look stunning at the Oscar ceremony? ;)

For other categories which are not mentioned here, I either agree with the Academy jury or I have no idea about them e.g. Documentary section, Foreign films.

This list still ends up with 5 Oscars to Slumdog millionaire. By the way, if you liked Slumdog, do check out "Traffic signal" by Madhur Bhandarkar. A good movie by an Indian director on the same subject of slum kids. It's really sad (and somewhat disgusting) that these movies go unnoticed in the crowd of the huge-budget crappy melodramas we continue to churn out year after year :-(.

7 comments:

zz said...

I agree with you except that I would add Benjamin Button everywhere you have Dark Knight.

%s/"Dark Knight"/"Benjamin Button"/g

Manoj said...

If you think 'Traffic Signal' was good... I would suggest you to watch 'Salaam Bombay'.
Couldn't help but notice the similarities, 'Slumdog' actually looks like a rip off from the awesome original from Meera Nair.

Its just the times... the same movie would have been dumped a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

You are basing your awards on the selected movies YOU saw :) :) .. Oscar funda doesnt work that way dude.

Anonymous said...

Yes Lavanya, Oscars don't work that way. They work like this...

1. Select the award you want to give
2. Pick a random movie
3. Is the movie bad?
.. 3a. If not pick again
4. Is the movie slumdog?
.. 3a. If not pick again
5. Pick another four random movies as nominated.
6. Call some well known person to announce the award
7. Clap

Anonymous said...

Yea J, thats much better than the ones (not all though) selected by Mr. Bad Reviewer

Sumit Sorde said...

@Asim : If it was not Dark Knight, you would hv found Button everywhere in my list
@Kaushik : Yeah. Dark knight deserved much better. And the award was deserved by Heath Ledger. though I agree that his accidental death made it kinda obvious.
@Manoj : will try to get my hands on Salaam bombay :)
@Lavanya : Ur head! Apart frm Vicky Christina Barcelona, I hv seen all the movies in the nominations + a lot more!
@JJ : U definately cracked the algorithm used by Jury this year :-). Another patent eh? ;)

Anonymous said...

similar thoughts...
http://in.news.yahoo.com/48/20090224/1241/top-it-shouldn-t-have-won.html
--Ashwin